The Story So Far…

The beginning

In 1956, a new Anglican Church was founded to meet the needs of the flourishing south end of St. Catharines.  First established at Lady Spencer Churchill School, the Church of the Transfiguration moved to its current location and new building in 1959.

Property Development

In 1983, the original church building was remodeled.  In 1985, Transfiguration partnered with the Ontario Housing Corporation to construct a low-income senior’s apartment building: The Transfiguration Terrace. The twelve-unit apartment building is administered by a board of church members. Residents are encouraged to participate in Transfiguration events and are invited to attend a Christmas celebration.

Remodel and Renovation

In October 2010, planning began for a building expansion that would include classrooms, offices, accessible washrooms, improved heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), an expanded fireside room, revamped entrances, increased parking, audio/visual upgrades, increased storage and to deal with outstanding deficiencies of past building inspections.  By June 2011, the Bishop’s approval for the project was given.

The building committee worked tirelessly with the city, the architect and the contractor to bring the project to completion.  Finally in February 2014, the new and improved space was completed and the congregation was able to return home and resume worship and other activities in our modern and functional facility.  The Church space is used by a number of community groups offering yoga, chair yoga, tai chi and arts classes.